"Monday"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Jul 27 01:21:40 UTC 2012

At 7/26/2012 12:57 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>I wonder if Dean Mazzarella, mayor of Leominster (['lEm at nst@r], if
>anyone is curious), is known as The Big Cheese.

Not the way I hear it up here, rather 'lEm-in-st at r, as in "tin" or
"sin".  And as I heard it from a Boston TV newscaster earlier this evening.

But I'm not local enough to swear how the Leoministers pronounce
it.  Nor to respond to the ponder.

In case anyone is curious and doesn't want to wait for Ben's weekend
column, the mayor fired the officer today, but there will certainly
be future developments.  In passing, Major Mazzarella seems to have
the impression that a police officer *can* be off-duty -- he made a
point of saying (whether about the incident in question or another)
that the officer showed his badge, and "can't have it both
ways".  Meaning I assume that the officer (or his lawyer) claimed it
was "off-duty" (personal) speech but at the same time made it evident
he was a police officer.  (I await the Boston Globe tomorrow.)

Joel