"Monday"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jul 30 13:52:41 UTC 2012

On Jul 30, 2012, at 5:20 AM, Tom Zurinskas wrote:

> Where is the allophone in the room? For me "Rosa's roses" would be ~~Roezuz roeziz~~.  Two phonemes.  No allophone.

I agree with the last claim; I never said they were allophones for me, or for anyone else.  I said they were identical.  WB characterized the raising of [@] to barred-i in "Leominster" as allophonic (conditioned by the /n/), but that wouldn't apply to "Rosa's" and "roses", since there's no difference in conditioning factors.  I'm aware that others (not just Gleason) claim to distinguish "Rosa's" and "roses", I just can't hear it myself (when they're both unstressed in the final syllable, as is usually the case).  No doubt a genetic flaw.

LH