Rosa's (was "Monday")

Geoff Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Mon Jul 30 14:03:54 UTC 2012

When I heard Gleason pronounce these (he was my Intro to Linguistics prof--I'm almost as old as Larry) I could not only hear the contrast between Rosa's and roses, I thought I made it too. But I tend to be chameleon-like in my speech, and suspect I've lost the contrast (which was, as Wilson mentioned, between barred-i and schwa--a height contrast). At least off the cuff they seem identical to me now. Lately I've noticed my speech developing Northern Cities-like vowels. In particular I've been producing open-o's with a schwa offglide, which I never had before. But I have them in 'short-o' contexts like 'lot', which for me has always been a rounded vowel (British parents, born in England, moved to Toronto when very young, but not young enough...). Weird. Geoffrey S. Nathan Faculty Liaison, C&IT and Professor, Linguistics Program http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/ +1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT) +1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics) ----- Original Message -----