"Monday"

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Tue Jul 31 12:34:41 UTC 2012

On 7/31/12 12:01 AM, Automatic digest processor wrote:
> Date:    Mon, 30 Jul 2012 16:58:13 -0400
> From:    "Joel S. Berson"<Berson at ATT.NET>
> Subject: Re: "Monday"
>
> At 7/30/2012 12:19 PM, W Brewer wrote:
>> >WB don't even know what Leominster is.
> It's a kind of sauce for steak.  (Massachusetts never had -shires,
> except when the pretentious English royal appointees misspoke.)
>
>> >It was Joel the
>> >Pretentious who said something about Herman Munster, or something.
> I wasn't being sitcomical, rather cheesy.
>
> J. the P.
Hey, I just want to say that the Word column that Ben came up with re:
"Monday" was really, really good: talking about secret slang, which is
an aspect of this I hadn't even thought of. I fully recognize that slang
has the function of creating in- and out- groups just by who uses it,
but the use of terms to hide their meaning in another layer of
obfuscation only intensifies that aspect of slang. But, I am, as it has
been pointed out very often, a doofus.

I'm really glad that the BG has Ben writing the Word column. I was
really looking forward to what he would come up with once I knew he was
following this story, and I'm quite sure that my husband rolled his eyes
as he heard my squeals of excitement as I opened the Ideas section.

http://bostonglobe.com/ideas/2012/07/28/how-did-monday-become-racist-slur-how-did-monday-become-racist-slur/Mf4fQEVcXabGKHFaDMZ4NO/story.html

---Amy the W., from the Real Steak Sauce Place.