any clues

Sun Jun 3 13:03:15 UTC 2012

Goggling "Pier six" with brooklyn or new york city waterfront shows that
there was a Pier Six just above the Brooklyn Bridge.  (Upstream from the
bridge, if the East River were a river.)
I might have guessed that it would have been in Red Hook, but no matter.
 (Years ago I looked at a house in Red Hook -- a dump.  Leaving, I thought,
if father were alive and knew I was thinking of moving his grandchildren to
Red Hook, what would he say?  What would he say now, if I were to tell him
I can't afford to live in Red Hook?)

"The view from pier six on the Brooklyn side of the East river is
breathtaking: the majestic skyline of downtown Manhattan boasts its latest
addition, a new residential tower designed by Frank
Gehry<http://www.newyorkbygehry.com/?source=googleads&gclid=CImC4o2Jx6gCFYINfAodoGpkow>.
In the distance to the right, the spires of the Empire State and the
Chrysler buildings reflect the sunlight as if dipped in molten gold.
"But the pier itself is not such a happy sight. A wasteland of concrete,
rusty steel frames, rotting blocks of wood and mounds of gravel, it is
testament to the decline of this stretch of Brooklyn, as well as to the
neglect that for many years has defined New
York<http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/new-york>'s
relationship with its waterfront."

Ed Pilkington, writing in the Guardian.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/01/new-york-harbour-city-again

This pier has been converted into a park in recent years.

GAT

On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 8:32 AM, Arnold Zwicky <zwicky at stanford.edu> wrote:

> On Jun 2, 2012, at 11:03 PM, Garson O'Toole wrote:
> >
> > Jon Lighter probably has valuable material in his files. I would
> > certainly look in Green's Dictionary of Slang but I do not have ready
> > access to it.
>
> not in Green.

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much since then.