"a day that [date which] will live in infamy"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Jun 4 15:32:53 UTC 2012

At 6/3/2012 12:02 AM, Wilson Gray wrote:

>On 6/1/12, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
> > And Roosevelt was correct to use "which".
>
>Yes, he was. Are there people now saying that he was, somehow,
>incorrect?!

Somewhere, at some time, I was involved in ... discussion of the
difference between "a day that" and "[December 7, 1941,] a date
which".  Both of which are grammatically correct, but only one of
which Roosevelt actually said.

>That's amazing!

Yes.  GBooks alleges:
"date which will live in infamy" = 8,000 [actually said by Roosevelt]
"date that will live in infamy" = 6,960
"day which will live in infamy" = 3,780
"day that will live in infamy" = 15,900 [grammatical, but not said]

(Some counted dually, inevitably.)

Joel