galoshes and rubbers and overshoes, oh my

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Jun 7 17:34:52 UTC 2012

I too learned "galoshes" from my parents (NYC).  Despite the OED's
(weaselly?) punt to another authority: "'Rare in U.S.' (Cent. Dict.)".

"Overshoes" is not in my native vocabulary.

Does anyone besides me associate "rubbers" with ankle-height and
"galoshes" with something more like boots?  Curiously, the earliest
quotation in the OED for "rubbers" (s.v. "rubber, n.1", sense 14) is:

1834   Daily Atlas (Boston, Mass.) 14 Oct. (advt.)    Boots, shoes,
and rubbers.

Although the advt. doesn't say whether the distinction is height or material.

And Totes plays it safe:  "Men's Waterproof Storm Rubber Overshoe
Galoshes Black by Waterproof Rubber Overshoe Galoshe".  (As seen on
Amazon.com: http://tinyurl.com/7vuzccx , item 5.)  To me,the object
pictured is one "rubber".

Joel