galoshes and rubbers and overshoes, oh my

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Jun 7 23:25:49 UTC 2012

At 6/7/2012 05:27 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:

>On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
> > Does anyone besides me associate "rubbers" with ankle-height and
> > "galoshes" with something more like boots?
>
>I do, though there seems to be a difference of opinion as to the exact
>definition of _ankle-height_. I think that Joel pictures this as "the
>point more-or-less immediately below the ankle," as do I, in this
>case.

Yes, and also in agreement with Amy.  By "ankle-high" I meant to the
bottom of the ankle, the only reasonably nearby part of the leg I
have a word for.

As for galoshes vs. rubbers, I find the former much more protective
of shoes, socks, and pants legs.

Joel