too = 'either'

Mon Jun 11 03:33:25 UTC 2012

This doesn't seem all that odd. I think I've used "too" to mean "either," too.

Looking at "I didn't go too" on GB yields

I'm glad now that I didn't go too. (http://ow.ly/buec3)

He was somewhat stronger than myself, a year older, so in that way he went, without thinking much of myself or that it was strange that I didn't go too. (http://ow.ly/bue97)

I asked Daddy why he and I didn't go, too, (http://ow.ly/buebj)

All three of these share the presence of a positive verb occurring before the negative verb that triggers "either" in formal writing, and all seem less strange than in the presence of a single negative verb. Surely, "too" will eventually replace "either" in this meaning given that the oddity of using "either" as a negative form of "too."

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA