"dacting", from _Veep_

Mon Jun 11 15:32:13 UTC 2012

Some years ago, a columnist in the TLS proposed that a person whose
occupation was to translate back into Malayalam documents that had been
written originally in Malayalam but had been translated into another
language, would be a remalayalamer.

Just for you all to ponder.

GAT

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 10:29 PM, Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at gmail.com> wrote:

> Those of us who are classically-trained might recall that the original
> meaning of "redact" was to bring back, so the opposite of "redact" could
> now be, um, "redact".
>
> DanG
>

> On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 9:54 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:

> > -----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
> > Subject:      Re: "dacting", from _Veep_

> > On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 9:42 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
> > wrote:
> > -----------------------
> > > Sender: Â  Â  Â  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > > Poster: Â  Â  Â  Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
> > > Subject: Â  Â  Â "dacting", from _Veep_

> > > ...which I get this weekend, since our carrier is providing free HBO
> for
> > a few days. Â Mike McClintock (Matt Walsh), the press secretary for the
> > eponymous Veep, Selina Meyer (Julia L-D), has just boasted that he's
> > getting very good at "dacting", i.e. "taking the black off" (and hence
> > unredacting) material that has previously been redacted.
> > >
> > > LH

> > <sigh!> Yet another reason to lament the dearth of the
> > classically-educated - or should that be, "classical-educated"?
> >
> > --
> > -Wilson
> > -----
> > All say, "How hard it is that we have to die!"---a strange complaint
> > to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
> > -Mark Twain

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much since then.