“cat for to make kitten britches”

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Wed Jun 13 05:53:04 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 08:57:55PM -0400, Garson O'Toole wrote:
> I should have wrote "The Mavens' Word of the Day" (not Maven's). The
> webpage suggests that the expression dates to the "nineteenth
> century":
>
> http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=19960823

Just FYI, I wrote the entries in what subsequently came to be called
"The Mavens' Word of the Day" up to August 1999 or so (it was called
"Jesse's Word of the Day" until then).

I have no idea right now where I got the dating info--is it in DARE? I'm
out of the country and can't easily check.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED