Adage: climate is what on an average we expect, weather is what we actually get (1902)

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 13 07:04:53 UTC 2012

Not earlier, but highly relevant:

http://goo.gl/ilWPh
Scribner's Magazine. Volume 42 (5). November 1907
English Weather. By Louise Imogen Guiney. p. 630/1
> As a small child once remarked, philosophizing, "Weather is what
> happens, and climate is what goes on all the time." It would be hard
> to name any country where both are objects of such contempt as they
> are in England.

This one /is/ earlier. The requisite phrase in in the last sentence.

http://goo.gl/RZhVx
Self Culture. A Magazine of Knowledge. Volume 6 (1). October 1897
Inquiries Answered. p. 72/2
> [Q]        I should like some points for an essay on the difference
> between Weather and Climate. Will Self Culture kindly help me?
>
> Climate depends upon fixed conditions of latitude and solar heat, and
> the modifications resulting from such fundamental facts as the earth's
> annual and diurnal motions, the distribution of land and water, the
> physical and geological character of the land and its elevation above
> the sea. Climate is thus the broad result of all the agencies
> influencing the atmospheric variations at the locality under
> consideration, while weather has a much more limited meaning, and, as
> popularly used, has reference merely to a particular phase of these
> atmospheric changes at a particular time.  Practically, for point and
> brevity it is difficult to improve on the schoolboy's definition that
> "Weather is what we have to-day and climate is what we have all the time."

These two are actually suggestive. There is absolutely nothing humorous
about these explanations and the reference to "schoolboy" and "small
child" suggests that this is the kind of folk distinction that might
have actually been taught.

An entirely different, but related statement falls in between these two.

http://goo.gl/cqGEG
Puck. Volume 55 (1429). July 20, 1904
The Difference. [unmarked page, but Google URL gives p. 383/1]
> Little Rodney. -- Papa, what is the difference between climate and
> weather?
> Mr. Wayout (of Dismalhurst-on-the-Blink) -- Climate, my son, is what a
> locality has when you are buying a home there, and weather is what it
> has afterwards.

[This is reproduced in the December 1 issue of the Christian Advocate
http://goo.gl/U9WFL  p. 1965/1]

     VS-)