"bend of mind" -- possible eggcorn?

Sat Jun 16 21:19:29 UTC 2012

Jonathan Swift reportedly used the line "To thee I owe that fatal bend
of mind" in a poem based on the evidence of an 1814 edition of his
works. However, there is an 1801 edition that records the line as: "To
thee I owe that fatal bent of mind". In addition, there are other
editions between 1801 and 1814 that used "bent".

Jonathan Swift died in 1745 so these editions were published decades
after his death. Examination of the original document (or a digital
replica) might be necessary to see whether Swift used "bend" or
"bent".

Cite: 1801, The Works of of the Rev. Jonathan Swift, Arranged by
Thomas Sheridan, A New Edition in Ninteen Volumes, Corrected and
Revised by John Nichols, Volume 18, Page 419, Printed for J. Johnson,
J. Nichols, S. Baldwin, etcetera, London. (Google Books fuill view)

http://books.google.com/books?id=aGE4AAAAIAAJ&q=%22bent+of%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
To thee I owe that fatal bent of mind,
Still to unhappy restless thoughts inclin'd;
To thee, what oft I vainly strive to hide,
That scorn of fools, by fools mistook for pride;
[End excerpt]

Cite: 1814, The Works of Jonathan Swift: Containing Additional
Letters, Tracts, and Poems Not Hitherto Published; with Notes and a
Life of the Author by Walter Scott, Volume 1, Page 36, Printed for
Archibald Constable and Co., Edinburgh. (Google Books full view)

http://books.google.com/books?id=cTYUAAAAYAAJ&q=%22bend+of%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
To thee I owe that fatal bend of mind,
Still to unhappy restless thoughts inclin'd;
To thee, what oft I vainly strive to hide,
That scorn of fools, by fools mistook for pride;
[End excerpt]

Garson