"Every single person in here is related"

Sun Jun 17 12:05:40 UTC 2012

"Every single person on Earth is at the least 50th cousins with everybody else."
http://j.mp/L3k7sC

This nugget of pop-science was tweeted by Maria Popova ‏@brainpicker.
The link leads to a video that is part of the V Sauce video series on
YouTube. I cannot vouch for this fact or factoid, and I do not know if
there is a mathematical analysis buttressing the claim.

It is true that there exists some N such that every person on Earth is
an Nth cousin. (Unless there was some odd alien intervention with
multiple seed stocks.)