Idiom: ducks in a row (1889)

Tue Jun 19 05:48:01 UTC 2012

I found a citation from 1896 that matches the 1901 citation and seems plausible as the source of this expression.

The Free Thought Magazine, Volume 14, H.L. Green (http://ow.ly/bFvBv)

-----
Sporting men are beginning to think that Mr. Cleveland is not a real sportsman, especially after reading of potshots made from his blind at ducks lined up in a row on purpose that they may be shot into with deadly effect.
-----

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA