Idiom: ducks in a row (1889)

Tue Jun 19 08:01:40 UTC 2012

Cite: 1854, Annals of the Propagation of the Faith, Volume 15, Page
287, Published for the Institution, London. (Google Books full view)
[Begin excerpt]
We walked in a row, like ducks going to the field.
[End excerpt]

Early man probably saw ducks lining up. As Michael Quinion says,
"That’s an image that could have led to the idiom being created at
almost any time." It's interesting that there does not seem to be
evidence of the metaphorical use until the 1800s.

Ducks also form into lines in the sky, but this also does not
emphasize a human agency.

Cite: 1813, The Beauties of Christianity by F. A. Chateaubriand,
Volume 1 of 3, Page 157, Printed for Henry Colburn, London. (Google
Books full view)
[Begin excerpt]
In a hoary day of autumn, when the north-east wind blows over the
plains, and the woods are losing the last remains of their foliage a
numerous troop of wild ducks all ranged in a line traverse in silence
a gloomy sky.
[End excerpt]

Here is an instance in 1859 that fits the hunting oriented metaphor.

Cite: 1859, Wild Sports in the Far West by Friedrich Gerstacker, Page
249, Crosby, Nichols and Company, Boston. (Google Books full view)
http://books.google.com/books?id=PI5QAAAAYAAJ&q=%22a+line+and%22#v=snippet&
[Begin excerpt]
Three ducks were swimming in a line, and thinking this a good chance,
I pulled the trigger, ...
[End excerpt]