"The _hopper_"

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 25 14:21:51 UTC 2012

This is as good an explanation as I've seen for this, but it does not
account for a small subset of intrusive r. The Boston-area locals whom
I've heard adding r's to words like "idea" and "law" don't just do it in
front of vowels, but pretty much anywhere. So I've heard a very
distinctive, "It's a great idear!" from a person who normally muffles
the r in "Oh, dear!". To the best of my knowledge, these were socially
cued, rather than purely phonological--i.e., you'd hear it from this
person at an academic discussion at Harvard, but not at a beach party on
the Cape.

Either way, it seems to have nothing to do with "hopper", per the other
part of your explanation.

     VS-)