mead quote (UNCLASSIFIED)

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Tue Jun 26 23:47:38 UTC 2012

My files say that I have in the past verified this quote in the print version of the 1982 book, and it checks out.

Fred Shapiro

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Garson O'Toole [adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:27 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: mead quote (UNCLASSIFIED)

Thanks Bill. Barry looked into the quote and has a webpage about it.

http://goo.gl/7JeJo

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/never_doubt_that_a_small_group_of_thoughtful_committed_citizens_can_change/

I explored the quote in November 2009. The following book in GB was
interesting. (Barry has it listed.)

Title: Earth at omega: passage to planetization: International Peace Series
Author: Donald Keys
Publisher: Branden Books
Copyright 1982 Branden Books
Publication date might be 1985. Some catalogs have 1985 as the
copyright date, but the GB book front matter has 1982 listed as the
copyright date. Barry lists 1985.

Chapter VI "The Politics of Consciousness" epigraph

http://books.google.com/books?id=JRhl-vNcbooC&q=Mead#v=snippet&

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can
change the world: indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.
     - Margaret Mead

When I explored the quote the following book was in preview mode. It
seems to be a 1984 book, but I have not verified it on paper. Barry
has it listed as a 1985 book and that might be the publication date.
There is conflicting data:

Title: Curing nuclear madness: a new-age prescription for personal action
Authors: Frank G. Sommers, Tana Dineen
Published: Methuen, Toronto
Copyright: 1984 by Frank G. Sommers

The epigraph for chapter 8 "The Birth of a Peaceful Planet" was the
following. Of course, epigraphs can be added late in the publication
cycle:

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can
change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.
MARGARET MEAD

Garson