famous quote syntactically mangled, nobody notices

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 30 20:52:56 UTC 2012

Yes. I've actually *read* _Surry of Eagle's Nest_ (well, much of it), and
the footnote is undoubtedly a guarantee of the sentiment's authenticity.

It would be pedantically satisfying, however, to know just how Cooke
learned of it.

It is now frequenly said that he made the remark to Gen. James
B. Longstreet, but JBL seems not to be mentioned in connection with the
remark till 1931 (GB). Furthermore, Cooke asserts that Lee "murmured" the
words to no one in particular.

My thoroughly gratuitous SWAG is that Cooke heard the anecdote from one of
Lee's other officers, or conceivably was told by Lee himself that
he'd thought something like that.  What better way to immortalize the idea
than to make it pithy and claim it had actually been "murmured"?  That
would be much simpler and more inspiring than to write, "I was later told
that General Lee had offered his opinion that...," or "General Lee later
told me that he'd been thinking that...."

JL