"tactical" vs "strategic"

Fri Mar 2 04:25:13 UTC 2012

Below is an excerpt from a 1920 military textbook on this topic.

Title: Tactical Principles and Decisions
Prepared by: The School of the Line: The General Service Schools (U.S.)
Location: Fort Leavenworth, Kansas
Year: 1920
Volume: 2
http://books.google.com/books?id=bbxBAAAAIAAJ&q=%22tactical+retreat%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
Retreats are strategic or tactical. A strategic retreat is one made
for causes other than local ones; for example: withdrawing troops for
use in other localities; to avoid battle, with a view to fighting
under more advantageous conditions later. A tactical retreat is one
required by local circumstances and may be either voluntary or
involuntary. An involuntary retreat is one forced on the battlefield,
and is usually made under unfavorable conditions. A voluntary retreat
is one made before the enemy has compelled it.
[End excerpt]

According to the reporter the Syrian rebel spokesman stated that:
"they were running low on weapons and the humanitarian conditions were
unbearable". Thus, one might argue that the retreat was "required by
local circumstances" and by the definition above it qualified as a
tactical retreat.

Alternatively, one might argue that the over-arching goal of the
rebels is to fight again under "more advantageous conditions later".
Hence the retreat was strategic.

Alternatively, one might argue these terms are hopelessly ill-defined.
Alternatively, one might argue that the book does not reflect current
thinking