"Drop a hard _J_"

Tue Mar 6 13:51:46 UTC 2012

Wilson: Through sobering experience I have learned that dates in
online forums can be inaccurate. Of course, any digital text can be
altered and incorrect dates can be inserted. So forum administrators
could, in a sense, falsify data through deliberate acts.

But there is also an automated mechanism that yields misleading data.

Forum software sometimes appends a signature line to each post created
by an individual. When a forum user updates his signature line the
forum software, in some cases, retroactively inserts the new signature
into old postings.

This means that the dates associated with material in signature lines
can be inaccurate. If a researcher uses the Google Groups search
engine then he or she will find misdated text in signature lines.

The phrase "drop a hard J" appears in the description associated with
a user profile. I suspect that this data can be altered by a forum
participant. There is substantial danger that this text is also
retroactively altered whenever a forum participant updates his profile
tagline. But I do not know this with certainty.

Happy to hear other perspectives on this issue,
Garson