A slow-spreading(?) slur: "_anti_-slant[-]eye"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 8 03:33:06 UTC 2012

>From 2004:

"yeah.. i think my homegirl said it best when she said she's
_anti-_slant eye (she's asian).

http://cakalusa.xanga.com/165004234/item/

When I was at the Army Language School, back in 1960, a barracksmate,
upon receiving orders shipping him out to Japan, remarked:

"I'd better start taking my _anti-_slant-eye pills!"

Back in mid-'50's StL, a few potnaz and I used "anti," pronounced "ann
tie" as a vague pejorative:

Don't invite *him*, man! He's too _anti_.

Until I heard my barracksmate speak, I hadn't heard that now-usual
pronunciation of "anti" in years. And "slant-eye" is as old as dirt.
But citable instances of "anti-slant-eye" are surprisingly rare and
recent and I haven't
*heard* it anywhere, except for that one time.

"Little-nose," another slur directed at Asians, I've heard only in Los
Angeles and I find no citable instances of it.

-Wilson

-----
-Mark Twain