Dysphemism

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Mar 9 21:54:54 UTC 2012

At 3/9/2012 04:43 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Dysphemism is the word you want.

I like the OED's choice of quotations.  First is one from 1884, then
one in French by A. Carnoy from [1927, and then
      1933 "John o' London's Weekly 7 Oct.,   Professor Carnoy [b.
1874], the distinguished French philologist, has coined the word
'dysphemism' as a set-off to 'euphemism', ..."

Apparently he didn't.  (But the1933 quotation is a neat explanation
of the meaning.)

Joel