pink slime

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 10 07:23:11 UTC 2012

This would be a fair observation if not for a small detail--most of the
time it appears in print, "pink slime" is either capitalized or is
placed in quotation marks. Generally speaking, that's not a hallmark of
a mere descriptive.

More to the point, the product is not slime at all--in fact, prior to
its mixture with actual ground beef, it looks quite dry and
well-textured. It is only after the addition of actual beef and perhaps
some water and being finely ground that it attains the slimy characteristic.

Therefore, I don't think this is "simply a descriptive". In fact, I
suspect, the coinage is authentic.

     VS-)