Endangered specie (coinages)

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at COX.NET
Sat Mar 10 17:08:30 UTC 2012

Endangered in the traditional sense, and in the sense of "if people
don't stop saying...."

Terms that bother me, either because they in and of themselves annoying,
or because the antecedents are disappearing and the coinage actually has
no meaning, like "clockwise" although that may be making a come-back.

Annoying.

"Acoustic" meaning not amplified--Facebook doubles-down with ads for
"affordable acoustic guitar amps".  The parser blows a fuse every time I
try to attach meaning to that.

"Analog" meaning "not digital".  Thinking of a clock without digits is
like thinking of one hand, clapping.  Several lifes back (I have been
through the "get a life" thing several times) I worked on computers that
did their work with gears, shafts, cams, and stuff.

What does ..... mean?

"Started out on a shoe string"  was a little dicey before Velcro....

"Clockwise".

"Home-made" seems only to be used by restaurants, home is for microwave
and take-out (or delivered).

[I'm new to the list and if I commit (or have committed) breaches of
protocol or decorum, I am truly sorry and willing to try to learn.  I'm
kind of a trial and error sort and I try to keep the ratio high, but I
do recognize the risks of failure.]
--
Requiescas in pace o email           Two identifying characteristics
                                         of System Administrators: