I Love Little Pussy

Mon Mar 12 12:31:13 UTC 2012

The Oxford Dictionary of Nursery Rhymes (1997) contains a section for
the poem "Pussy" with a first line of "I love little pussy". The
reference work traces the poem back to 1829.

Cite: 1997, The Oxford Dictionary of Nursery Rhymes by Iona Opie and
Peter Opie, Second edition, Section: Pussy: 427, Oxford University
Press. (Amazon look inside)

There is an entry for "I Love Little Pussy" in Wikipedia which gives a
date of 1830 for the poem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Love_Little_Pussy

Below is a citation dated 1825 for an instance of the poem with a
slightly different beginning: "I like little pussy, her coat is so
warm".

Cite: 1825, "A Manual of the System of Instruction Pursued at the
Infant School, Meadow Street, Bristol" by D. G. Goyder [David George
Goyder], Fourth edition, Section: "Poems, &c", "The Cat", Page 150,
Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, London. (Google Books
full view)

http://books.google.com/books?id=f9oGAAAAQAAJ&q=pussy#v=snippet&

The Cat

I like little pussy, her coat is so warm,
And if I don't hurt her she ll do me no harm;
So I'll not pull her tail, nor drive her away,
But pussy and I very gently will play:
She shall sit by my side, and I'll give her some food,
And she'll love me because I am gentle and good.

Garson