Pre-Archaic Industrial Jargon

Ronald Butters ronbutters at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 12 13:37:51 UTC 2012

It is useful to distinguish between anachronism and subreption.

"Your phone is ringing" is not an anachronism--the meaning has essentially the same as it was before, it is simply that the technology has changed, a common process that is sometimes labeled SUBREPTION in historical lexicography. I would say much the same thing about "address book" and "dial the wrong number." Even "he hung upon me" means the same thing whether one is using a land line with a cord, a cordless land line, or a cell phone. Note that a book is still a book, even if it is an e-book. A house is largely not the same thing today as it was in 900AD, but it would seem odd to call today's usage an "anachronism," which I would reserve for  the use of a word or phrase that was formally used but is no longer (e.g., "bawdy-house"; "caution" = 'amusing person'; "that was" in "General Dunstaple had married Miss Hughes that was"), or using a word in a way that it is not longer used (e.g,. PHOTOGRAM instead of PHOTOGRAPH).

I don't know what "Pre-Archaic Industrial Jargon" means. I would not classify "hang up the phone" as either "industrial" or "jargon," and I doubt seriously that it will become "archaic."