Pre-Archaic Industrial Jargon

Martin Kaminer martin.kaminer at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 12 15:54:07 UTC 2012

If I can slip something in 'pre-fork', can't help noticing that both
album and magazine are names for containers of items (songs and
articles, to say nothing of bullets).  The way in which these terms
are evolving differs from the 'house' example: unlike a house, as
technology and distribution mechanisms change they may become
vestigial or obviated completely.  What we're experiencing now is
perhaps a period of conceptual transition during which the terminology
is maintained for the benefit of those legacy listener/readers
accustomed to it even as its underlying meaning and importance fades.
Buggywhips.