Pre-Archaic Industrial Jargon

Martin Kaminer martin.kaminer at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 12 17:29:06 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Ronald Butters <ronbutters at aol.com> wrote:

> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Ronald Butters <ronbutters at AOL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Pre-Archaic Industrial Jargon
>
> Don't you think the 16th century sense of a "house" has become pretty =
> much vestigial, if not obviated completely?

Not to the same extent as a 'record album' in the age of iTunes, or a
few years hence.  Here's a 16th Century house
http://www.flickr.com/photos/grytr/286292935/  One can compare many
components of it to those of my house, which was built in the last few
years. Not sure what's vestigial or obviated about the object itself.
Regarding the word I did a bit of cursory peering through 17th and
16th Century dictionaries, such as they are, and didn't see much in
terms of the definition that differs greatly from the contemporary.
If I missed something please do tell.