How many layers of obfuscation on the average euphemism?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Mar 13 14:41:40 UTC 2012

At 3/13/2012 10:10 AM, James A. Landau <JJJRLandau at netscape.com> wrote:

>On  Mon, 12 Mar 2012 12:42:44 -0500 Larry Sheldon
><LarrySheldon at COX.NET> wrote:
>
> >The question came to mind trying to parse (decode?  decrypt?)
> >"rightsized", which you might mistakenly think from context is something
> >done to a company, but is actually a way of making a human being
> >disappear.
> >
> >"Rightsized" hides the depressor in "downsized".
> >
> >"Downsized" obfuscates the implied humanity in "layed off" or
> >"furloughed".
> >
> >Here the track gets hard to read:  "layed off" seems to be an attempt to
> >de-sting "fired" which has taken on an aura of misbehavior that it did
> >not have in times past. But it picks up a vague stench of "cast away",
> >"discarded", "shitcanned" while "furloughed" wants the listener to
> >believe that the person chose this action because it is such a good
> >idea, like a "vacation".
>
>On the contrary.  There is a real distinction between "laid off",
>"fired", and "furloughed".
>
>At least there is in New Jersey.

But not in the two newspapers I read, the NY Times and the Boston
Globe.  There "fired" is frequently used when employees lose
(misplace? perhaps another euphemism) their jobs due to economic
difficulties of their employer.  I suspect the same will be heard on
news broadcasts.

Joel