Pre-Archaic Industrial Jargon

Ronald Butters ronbutters at AOL.COM
Tue Mar 13 15:34:33 UTC 2012

What you say makes a lot of sense only if one compares only parts of the old and new meanings of "house" with parts of the old and new meaning of "album." (I would quarrel with you on the one hand by noting that "record album" is archaic, in that "record" is archaic, so you are kinda loading the dice a bit.) If one defines "album" as something like 'audio collection of recorded music or other forms of entertainment," then that the idea of an "album" has not changed very much. Similarly, if you define "house" as 'dwelling', then  the idea of a "house" hasn't changed much either. But it is not very meaningful to compare the core meaning of the one with the expanded meaning of the other (ignoring  for now he theoretical question of just what constitutes a "core" meaning, or if that is even possible).

If I say to you, "I bought a new opera album last week," the image that comes to mind in 3012 is vastly different from the image that would have come to mind in 1970, but the "core" meaning will still be there.

If I say to you "Colin moved to a new house last year," aspects of the "core" meaning will be the same whether it is uttered in 2012 or 1612, but the image that would come to mind for the hearer would be quite different. (I'm ignoring the irrelevant question of whether "moved to" would have been idiomatic in the earlier 17th century). The 16th-century cottage that you liked to has vast differences with a double-wide, an airstream trailer, a mansion, a row house, a 12th-floor condominium, etc.; but I could mean any of these things if I said, "I'm having a party at my house, and I'd like you to come."

In other words, the subreption of the two words is vast, though important "vestigial" meanings have been kept for both--meanings that people would (I think) not find "obviated."