On _hoosier_ as an insult, etc.

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 13 18:48:13 UTC 2012

Wilson,

I was in the midst of typing the last message when my internet
connection dropped.  Down with Comcast!  So I'll try to finish it
before I get another service drop.

On the two meanings of "hoosier," you may be making a distinction
without a difference.   And I say that as an accidental Hoosier.   In
the 1989 Sean Penn/Robert De Niro film "We're no Angels," the two are
escaped convicts approaching a small town on the Canadian border
somewhere in the Northwest, I think.  They're going to impersonate
priests and hide out in a monastery.  Penn doesn't think it'll work
and says to De Niro, "They'll think we're hoosiers."  That meaning
clearly goes beyond St. Louis and its county--at least to Hollywood.

Herb