Heard on The Doctors: _bug juice_

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 14 22:43:10 UTC 2012

A doctor explains his use of a term:

"_Bug juice_ is doctor slang for 'anti-biotics'."

This meaning isn't in HDAS or UD and, as fate would have it, neither
is the only meaning for _bug juice_ that I know:

"soy sauce."

My WAG is that the StL BE meaning is derived from the
soy-sauce-looking liquid that hoppergrasses regurgitate when you
capture them, despite the fact that this liquid is itself called
"tobacco juice" by boyz n tha hood.

Back in the day, Chinese food was absolutely unknown, behind the sun
in Marshall. If you wanted to floor-roll your audience with ease, all
that was needed was to name any Chinese dish: chop-suey, egg fu-yong,
etc.

--
-Wilson
-----