More euphemisms: "pervasive language"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Mar 16 23:38:17 UTC 2012

At 3/16/2012 06:58 PM, Neal Whitman wrote:
>Although this phrase is new to me, I take it to be the same semantic
>narrowing of "language" to mean "offensive or obscene language" as
>you get in movies that are rated PG for "mild language":
>http://literalminded.wordpress.com/2005/03/06/mild-language/

I do get it.  Although if "language" means "offensive or obscene
language", it can't be "mild".

But -- "Mild" I can understand -- it's a quality.  "Obscene" or
"blasphemous" I can understand.  But "pervasive" I can't place on a
scale.  "Pervasive offensive language" would make sense for an R, as
opposed to "occasional offensive language" meriting a PG, or whatever.

Joel