great stuff: football and international politics

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Sat Mar 17 13:09:17 UTC 2012

On 3/17/12 12:32 AM, Laurence Horn wrote:

>>> In all the versions of kickball I remember playing (early-mid 1950s,
>>> NYC), you can retire a runner by hitting them with the ball (between
>>> bases).  Such throws are frowned upon in softball.
>>

>> When you played pickup games of kickball, soft/baseball, and other games with base runner, and you didn't have enough people, did you use "ghost runners"?
>>
> We certainly did, sometimes even allowing two or three ghost runners (bases loaded with ghosts).  I'd forgotten that.

Likewise. And, if you'd asked me what happened in kickball if you didn't
have enough players, I would have hemmed and hawed. But the simple
phrase "ghost runner" brings it all back.

Alice Faber                                       faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                            tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                               fax (203) 865-8963