a "brokered convention"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 18 15:40:09 UTC 2012

The news world is rife with yak about the possibility of a "brokered
convention" if no Republican candidate wins a majority of delegates in the
primaries.

After a few days of this, some journalists had the decency to point out
that they don't mean a "brokered" convention, in which some kingmaker
wangles his preferred candidate into the catbird seat; they mean an "open"
convention with everybody wheeling and dealing for himself.  (I don't know
the last time an actual "brokered convention" occurred.)

Nevertheless, the preferred term for "open convention" still seems to be
"brokered convention."

Hopefully it will fade away. But it seems worth noting.

JL