Tegrity and the Flipped Classroom - webinar

Mon Mar 19 16:17:13 UTC 2012

The Economist has an article that uses the "flip" terminology that has
been applied to classroom instruction in recent times. The magazine
quotes educator Salman Khan, famous for creating Khan Academy, using
the terminology. (There are multiple examples of "flipped" in this
domain before 2011.) I think Khan popularized the term, but I do not
know if he created it.

Flipping the classroom
Hopes that the internet can improve teaching may at last be bearing fruit
Sep 17th 2011 - LOS ALTOS - from the print edition

http://www.economist.com/node/21529062

[Begin excerpt]
This reversal of the traditional teaching methods - with lecturing
done outside class time and tutoring (or "homework") during it - is
what Mr Khan calls "the flip". A synonym for flip, of course, is
revolution, and this experiment in Los Altos just might lead to one.
For although only a handful of classes in this public-school district
tried the method in the last school year, many other schools, private
and public, are now expressing interest, and the methodology is
spreading.
[End excerpt]

Garson