Antedating of "Chocoholic"

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Mon Mar 19 18:06:15 UTC 2012

--

 From N'archive:

----------

_Daily Mail_, Charleston WV, 28 March 1954: p. 37:

<<[title] A 'Tobaccoholic' Goes On Wagon / ... / I am a confirmed
"tobaccoholic." That's like an alcoholic, only it ain't alcohol -- it's
that nasty weed called tobacco. / ....>>

----------

_Hutchinson [KS] News-Herald_, 28 Dec. 1955: p. 14:

<<[title] What Do You Do With A Little Girl Becoming A Milkaholic? / ...
/ We must face it. Our daughter, age two, is a "milkaholic". / A
milkaholic, you see, is a little on the order of an alcoholic. The basis
of the ailment -- either type -- is supposed to be a vague emotional
disturbance that causes the victim to seek relief in the bottle. / ....>>

[apparently the little girl demands her bottle after any distressing
incident]

_Ada [OK] Weekly News_, 14 April 1955: p. 4:

<<Ran across a new term. It's pretty rough on folks trying devilishly
hard to reduce. Anyway, here are the words of William Feather: "A
sugarholic will do anything to reduce, except give up chocolate bars,
rich desserts, and cream in coffee plus two lumps of sugar.">>

I can't immediately find the original of the William Feather quotation
in the "sugarholic" example above.

-- Doug Wilson