White Flag -- "rythm", no vowel in

Tue Mar 20 01:25:06 UTC 2012

I recall only "y," but Googling shows that some teachers toss the "w" in.

The Grammar Girl covers it at http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/when-is-w-a-vowel.aspx, basically saying that "w" is a vowel when used in a diphthong like in "how" or "show."

In really vowel-y languages, that definition of a vowel will give you trouble (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vowel), but it seems reasonable for English :)

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA