<w> as indicator of vowelitude

Ronald Butters ronbutters at AOL.COM
Tue Mar 20 14:07:28 UTC 2012

Orthographic <w> is a vowel indicator in words such as <awl>, distinguishing it from <Al>; and <mew>, distinguishing it from <me>.

When the old-timers spoke of "w" as a "vowel", they were probably not thinking of it as a stand-alone indicator of a unique English vowel, but rather as a "letter" that was something added simply to indicate vowel quality, as opposed to its function as a consonant indicator, in, e.g., <win>.

In the footnotes, they might also have indicated that <ow> was not unambiguous, e.g., <bow> is pronounced both /bo/ and /baw/.