<w> as indicator of vowelitude

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at COX.NET
Tue Mar 20 20:32:04 UTC 2012

On 3/20/2012 9:07 AM, Ronald Butters wrote:

>                              and<mow>, where it is pronounced exactly  =
> like<Mo>.

My lack of training is going to be apparent here, please be kind.

That fragment above surprises me.  When I pronounce "Mo" (the
abbreviation for a nearby state as in "I have a daughter that lives in
kay cee mo") I don't feel my lips moving closer together (not to a stop)
like I do when I say "mow" (the lawn....hmmmm a 'w') or "bow" (what the
President does).

What is the phonetic assignment for the "w" in "lawn" and "yawn"?

Am I in bounds here or am I still in stupid-question territory? (All
answers to this last question off-line, please.)

--
Requiescas in pace o email           Two identifying characteristics
                                         of System Administrators: