FW: "Jass" card game in 1911 (from Barry Popik)

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Thu Mar 22 02:16:35 UTC 2012

Barry Popik sent the two messages below to Ben Zimmer and me, and I now share them with
ads-l. I don't think the Swiss card game "jass" is the origin of our term "jazz," but it's good
to get all information out on the table. Maybe somebody will see something I'm missing.

Gerald Cohen
P.S.  My thanks to Barry for all his work, part of which appears on his excellent website barrypopik.com
And tangentially, what is the origin of the name of the Swiss card game?

-----Original Message-----
From: Barry Popik <bapopik at aol.com>
Sent: Wed, Mar 21, 2012 3:48 am
Subject: "Jass" card game in 1911;

FYI, this is the card game "jass." Was Slattery playing cards as well
as craps?...There is a nonsense "JASS MOOLAH" said by a Swami in a
comic from 1911, but no other interesting "jass" NewspaperArchive hits.
--Barry Popik
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jass <https://minermail.mst.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jass>
,,,
Jazz (word) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_(word)
Gleeson said that Slattery had picked up the expression in a craps
game. ... These initial articles were written in Boyes Springs,
California, where the San [Francisco Seals were in spring training.]