Belvedere-y

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Mar 25 01:00:18 UTC 2012

On Mar 24, 2012, at 8:51 PM, Victor Steinbok wrote:

> Truthy, hopey, changey, rapey... I know the -y suffix is both productive
> (OED -y suffix1 -- the other five -y suffixes are not relevant because
> they deal with different parts of speech) and -- pardon me for coining a
> term here -- quasi-productive. By the latter I mean something that
> produces, usually mockingly, an ad hoc N-y adjective or adverb that can
> best be described as "kind of having the quality of N" (where "kind of"
> is taken with the subtext "not really"). I refer to it as
> "quasi"-productive because the N-y nonce forms that they produce aren't
> really well-formed words and are only used as temporary placeholders,
> frequently loaded with sarcasm, and often spelled with the explicit
> hyphen ("-y"), notwithstanding the success of "truthy". They are not
> intended to remain a fully functioning part of the lexicon.

In a 1996 paper on -ee in English published in Language, Chris Barker calls that nominalizing suffix (as in e.g. adulteree, best-wishee, fantasizee, festschriftee, harvestee, implantee, ticklee,...) "robustly semi-productive", and more recently I've borrowed the term to refer to un-verbs (uninvite, unfollow, unerase, unkiss, unhappen, unfuck,...).

> Michael
> Adams referred to such infixes

Why infixes?  They look pretty suffixy to me.

LH