trademark v

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 26 19:19:33 UTC 2012

The OED has a very brief description of "trademark" as a verb, with no
examples:

> ˈtrade-ˌmark v. (/trans./) to affix or imprint a trade-mark upon.

This seems a bit narrow, unless "affix" is treated quite generously. In
fact, current usage suggests that "to trademark" means to either apply
for trademark registration and protection or to make something famous
and exclusive (the latter in a somewhat transformative sense). An easy
search for the former includes "going to trademark" string, which
produces 70800 raw ghits.

http://goo.gl/b5R6M

http://goo.gl/qfLxA

http://goo.gl/0WR06

http://goo.gl/UI8nR
> Citing the potential of “Occupy Wall Street” to become a “global
> brand,” a Long Island couple has filed to trademark the name of the
> amorphous organization responsible for the protests and encampments in
> lower Manhattan and other U.S. cities, The Smoking Gun has learned.

[deleted question on Yahoo! Answers]
> If im going to trademark a clothing line name, should i add 'clothing
> company' in the trademark ? or just the brand name?

VS-)