usage ridicule

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Tue Mar 27 14:34:33 UTC 2012

Dwight Bolinger, "Are You a Sincere H-Dropper?" _American Speech_ 50 (for 1975): 313-15; with an appended note by John Algeo, which cites much earlier discussions of the "a"-vs. -"an"-before-"h" point:  _AS_ 4 (1929): 442-54 and 5:82-85.

--Charlie

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Eric Nielsen [ericbarnak at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 7:17 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

I (dimly) remember being taught a rule that h-words with an accented first
syllable were to use an "a"; those with an unaccented first syllable used
an "an". Monosyllabic h-words also used an "a". Do monosyllabic words have
accent? I always wondered about the British "an house".

Not that I really care much one way or the other, but I am a(n) "an
historical" guy.

Eric