"Sweater-vest"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 28 18:52:39 UTC 2012

On Mar 28, 2012, at 1:11 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 9:56 AM, Amy West <medievalist at w-sts.com> wrote:
>> it's usually v-neck and can be buttoned or buttonless.
>
> That is to say, it's a so-called "sleeveless sweater."
>
>> And regarding historical fashion/costume, I recently wore a "sleeved
>> waistcoat," not a coat. Just to make you crazy.
>
> Sadly, I have no real notion as to what constitutes a "waistcoat." So,
> that shot is over my head and not across my bow.
> --
And then there's the "weskit" vs. "waist-coat" distinction.  AHD lists both pronunciations, in that order (of occurrence, I assume). The entry:

1. A garment formerly worn by men under a doublet. [That's why I've given up wearing my waistcoats--too hard to find a good doublet to wear over them.]
2. Chiefly British.  A short, *sleeveless*, collarless garment worn especially over a shirt and often under a suit jacket; a vest.  [*emphasis* added]

Hmmm…. This would seem to make a sleeved waistcoat either oxymoronic or subdoublet.

LH