Fwd: usage ridicule

Eric Nielsen ericbarnak at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 29 09:08:31 UTC 2012

I'm not really sure about whether "an house" still occurs in the wilds of
the English parlor. I imagined it was a shibboleth of the British upper
class for many years. A conceit formed from watching BBC period
pieces long ago.

I especially remember one episode (but sadly not the series name) where
this elderly upper class woman was so delighted to meet this young man who
still used "an house" in his speech that she made a point of commending him
for it. The time frame of the series was far beyond Jane Austen's day
because I remember them riding around in motorcars.

Eric