"Sweater-vest"

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Thu Mar 29 12:47:41 UTC 2012

On 3/29/12 12:02 AM, Automatic digest processor wrote:
> Hmmm…. This would seem to make a sleeved waistcoat either oxymoronic or subdoublet.
>
> LH

Yes, that's why it threw me for a loop. The cut and line of the torso of
the "sleeved waistcoat" was the same as a regular waistcoat. My
presumption is that the sleeved waistcoat could be worn under a frock
coat or other outer garment. I was wearing it as my outer garment, and I
was wearing a waistcoat under the sleeved waistcoat.

What I haven't explored is whether "sleeved waistcoat" is a term that
was indeed used in the late 1700s or if it's a term that's been applied
by later costume historians.

But note that because "waistcoat" is normally sleeveless, "sleeved" has
to be added to make the distinction. Similar to "sleeveless sweater": a
sweater is normally sleeved, but not in this case.

As for that doublet, well, sewing a 1630s doublet is on my husband's
list of sewing projects. Wearing a waistcoat under a doublet is news to
me, but my knowledge is limited, so that's not saying much. I'll have to
do some poking around.

--
---Amy West