The perils of ngrams (was Usage Ridicule)

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 31 18:23:31 UTC 2012

Just as a point of clarification--I did not intend to make any grandiose
claims based on Ngrams in my original post. Quite to the contrary--I was
attempting to use the Ngrams to debunk an earlier claim based on them.

There are two different problems with Ngrams--one is of Google's
creation and that's the one Geoff and others have pointed out
repeatedly; the other comes from researchers who don't just ignore
warnings about reliability of Ngram data, but introduce new errors by
failing to consider a broader set of data (not to mention errors in
logic, etc., but these are not methodological failures). Causal
conclusions should be particularly suspect.

However stated, my criticism was not of Joel, but of his corresponded
who made the Ngram suggestion.

     VS-)