FW (from B. Popik): Rachel Maddow doesn't know "Union Square" etymology; "Hispandering" not coined by Mickey Kaus

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Tue May 1 14:49:32 UTC 2012

Barry Popik sent the message below to several people, and with his
permission I now forward it to ads-l.

Gerald Cohen

_______________________________
From: Barry Popik [mailto:bapopik at aol.com]
Sent: Mon 4/30/2012 9:02 PM
Subject: Rachel Maddow doesn't know "Union Square" etymology;
"Hispandering" not coined by Mickey Kaus

HISPANDERING:
"Hispandering" has been in the news a lot lately; I have "spandering"
on my website, while Grant Barrett's Double-Tongued Dictionary has a
one-citation entry for "Hispandering." Mickey Kaus is usually given
credit for coining the term, but it appears that this is incorrect:
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/hispandering_hispanic_pandering/
RACHEL MADDOW'S STAFF DOESN'T SPEND FIVE SECONDS TO LOOK UP THE ORIGIN
OF "UNION SQUARE":
In February 2011, Rachel Maddow did a long piece on the labor union
history of Wisconsin, and she highlighted that Wisconsin has seven
towns named "Union." In July 2011, Maddow again said that Wisconsin has
a long labor union history and history and seven towns named "Union." I
wrote to the Wisconsin Historical Society, and it appears that not one
of the towns is named after a labor union--most were named before
unions were formed in the 1880s. I wrote to Maddow, who of course never
wrote back or issued a correction. See:
http://www.redstate.com/barrypopik/2011/07/23/correcting-msnbcs-rachel-maddow-does-wisconsin-really-have-seven-towns-named-after-labor-unions/
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/jack-coleman/2011/07/25/maddow-claim-about-wisc-towns-named-union-looks-decidedly-dubious
On today's show, Rachel Maddow said that there will be labor union
demonstrations in New York City tomorrow on May Day (May 1st), and why
do you think they call it "Union Square"? I immediately knew this is
wrong. Yes, her staff is so lazy that it can't spare the five seconds
to find this on Google:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Square_(New_York_City)
Union Square is a public square in the Manhattan borough of New York
City, New York.
It is an important and historic intersection, located where Broadway
and the former Bowery Road - now Fourth Avenue - came together in the
early 19th century; its name celebrates neither the Federal union of
the United States nor labor unions but rather denotes that "here was
the union of the two principal thoroughfares of the island".

<snip>
Barry Popik
Austin, TX
www.barrypopik.com